- "Last night, an hour or so after falling asleep, I dreamed that I was back in Newgate Prison. Sarah was not there to protect me. That Turnkey, that same greedy fat man who crushed the toes on my left foot when I told him that I had no money, was using his clamp on my other foot. All I could do was scream and scream..."
- —Elizabeth Harvey
Surviving Sydney Cove: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey is a historical fiction book by Goldie Alexander in the My Australian Story series. The book was published in September 2000 by Scholastic Australia. It was republished by Scholastic UK as Transported in 2002 and Australia in 2010 for their My Story series.
Elizabeth "Lizzie" Harvey is a thirteen-year-old convict girl living in the Rose Hill area of Sydney, Australia. Four years previously, Lizzie was falsely accused of stealing a dress and imprisoned at Newgate Prison, where she met her "protector" Sarah Burke. They spent many months in prison hulks, before being transported to Sydney Cove. Sarah and Lizzie were able to find work as housekeepers for Henry Dodd.
Winston Russell, a marine, visits Master Dodd's hut. Lizzie trades two onions for his journal, which she uses to write to her younger brother, Edward. A few weeks later, Lizzie rescued a young girl named Emily from Simple Sam, though he meant no harm. Emily's and Winston's father, Surgeon James Russell releases Lizzie from her service to Master Dodd and has her work as Emily's caretaker. Lizzie is sad to leave Sarah, who has become like a mother.
Two weeks later, Lizzie and the Russell family move to Sydney Cove. Lizzie was sad to be further away from Sarah, but excited to be away from Rose Hill for the first time in nearly two years. On the way there, they met several travelers, including Lieutenant William Collins, Abel Flush, and Margaret Stewart. Meanwhile, Lizzie continues to tell the story of her life to the Russells and the "prickly" Winston begins to warm up to her.
In Sydney Cove, Lizzie spends everyday with Emily, teaching and taking care of her. In late May, an angry mob approaches Simple Sam, who was banished from Rose Hill. Lizzie and Winston hide him, but the mob finds and hangs him, despite the accusation being false. Emily becomes ill and dies a few days later, devastating her family and Lizzie. Her father and Winston are told to board the next ship to England. Before leaving, Winston promises to deliver Lizzie's journal to her brother.
- Main article: List of Surviving Sydney Cove characters
- Elizabeth "Lizzie" Harvey, a young girl, who was accused of stealing a dress and transported to Sydney Cove. She misses her younger brother and struggles with the harsh conditions of Australia.
- Sarah Burke, Elizabeth's friend and fellow convict. They met in prison and stayed together for two years in Rose Hill. She treats Lizzie as if she were her own daughter.
- Main article: Goldie Alexander
Goldie Alexander (born in Melbourne, Australia) is an Australian author. She has written over eighty fiction and nonfiction books for children, young adults, and adults. Surviving Sydney Cove is the only book Alexander has written for the My Australian Story series.
- ↑ http://www.wheelers.co.nz/books/9781865042671
- ↑ http://www.wheelers.co.nz/books/9781865048574
- ↑ https://www.bookdepository.com/My-Australian-Story-Goldie-Alexander/9781741696172
- ↑ Transported, Goldie Alexander, page 113
- ↑ https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transported-Diary-Elizabeth-Harvey-Australia/dp/043998114X/
- ↑ https://shop.scholastic.co.uk/products/77066