One Eye Laughing, The Other Eye Weeping: The Diary of Julie Weiss is a fictional diary written by Barry Denenberg, his third in the series. The book is the nineteenth entry in Scholastic's Dear America. It was published in October 2000.
- "I'll never write a book good enough for Jean, so this will have to do."
- "Sunday, February 20, 1938
At one o'clock today, Radio Vienna broadcast Hitler's speech from Berlin. It was the first time they've ever broadcast one of his speeches. He has an Austrian accent, which shouldn't surprise me since he was born here. There must have been a lot of people because you could hear them all shouting SIEG HEIL, SIEG HEIL, when he arrived.... Although he sounded crude, there is something about the way he speaks that makes you listen. It was like when I'm on the Ferris wheel at the Prater and I look down even though I know I shouldn't because I'll be scared."
- Main article: List of One Eye Laughing, the Other Weeping characters
- Main article: Barry Denenberg
Barry Denenberg (born in Brooklyn, New York City, New York) is a nonfiction and historical fiction author, known for writing biographies. He is the author five Dear America books, two My Name Is America, and one in The Royal Diaries series.
- "The author would like to thank Amy Griffin for her sensitive editorial work, and Chris Kearin and his fellow "book people" for their help."
- Interview with Barry Denenberg about One Eye Laughing, the Other Weeping at Scholastic
- One Eye Laughing, the Other Weeping Discussion Guide at Scholastic