Footsteps in the Snow: The Red River Diary of Isobel Scott is the fourth book in the Dear Canada series. It was published in March 2002 by Scholastic Canada. The book was written by Carol Matas, her first for the series.
- "For my young cousins, a new generation of hardy Winnipeggers: Miranda and Hannah Baran, Daniel, Rebecca and Max Asper, Stephen and Jonathan Asper, Sarah and Olivia Asper (and any new additions yet to come)"
- "November 3, 1815
We arrived today at The Forks! So much has happened since my last entry, and weeks have passed. Near the end of the journey we had to endure another trial. We ran out of food. The hunters were only finding small game, not nearly enough to feed such a large group. At times all I could think of was my empty stomach. This morning when we arrived the sun shone. On the rough wooden dock, waiting for us, were thirteen families–the only settlers who had not been driven away by the North West Company. It was chaos as news was exchanged. I looked around anxiously to get a good view of our new home, but it all looked similar to the landscape we had just travelled. I was anxious to go exploring. I was about to suggest this to James and Robbie when Father hurried over to us and stated, "We cannot even unpack. The settlers have not had a chance to rebuild since the attack. Apparently there is not enough food for us to spend the winter here." I cannot believe it. Such a long and difficult trip, only to discover home is sill beyond our grasp."
- Main article: List of Footsteps in the Snow characters
- Main article: Carol Matas
- Footsteps in the Snow at Scholastic Canada
- Footsteps in the Snow at Scholastic Canada (French)
- Footsteps in the Snow Discussion Guide at Scholastic Canada