A Desperate Road to Freedom: The Underground Railroad Diary of Julia May Jackson is the twenty-fourth book in Scholastic's Dear Canada series. It was published in September 2009. The book was Karleen Bradford's second entry in the series.
- "For Jan Andrews and Rachna Gilmore"
- "Friday, January 16th, 1863
We huddled there, all holding onto each other. The bushes prickled something awful, but we none of us paid them any mind at all. We heard the dogs coming closer and closer, baying and howling just the way they were the night Uncle Bo got caught. Men were shouting, too. The noise was fierce and it was coming straight at us. I held my breath and prayed as hard as I could. I knew real well those dogs could smell us easy as could be in those bushes. All I could think of was Uncle Bo shot and hanging dead in that tree."
- Main article: List of A Desperate Road to Freedom characters
- Main article: Karleen Bradford
- "Thanks to Greg McKinnon, Toronto District School Board Archivist, for routing us to the research of Joel Weiss and Robert S. Brown, which provided helpful information on the duration and timing of the school years in Toronto and elsewhere in the 1860s."